Princeton Town Topics – Let’s Talk Real Estate – February 26, 2020
COST-EFFECTIVE REMEDIES FOR DRAFTY WINDOWS
When the temperature outside drops, drafty windows can make your home uncomfortably chilly and your utility bills soar. Here are some suggestions to help keep your home warm and hard-earned money in your pocket. (Of course, the overall best long-term solution is investing in new windows, but these are more cost-effective alternatives.)
· Purchase a window-draft sock
· Install storm windows
· Plastic shrink wrap (window insulator kit)
· Replace weather stripping
· Hang heavy insulating draperies
· And last — try bubble wrap! While not the prettiest solution, it’s a great insulator.
Before you invest money in any of these solutions, you will first need to identify where the drafts are coming from. Light a candlestick (careful not to drip hot wax on your hand!) and slowly move the flame around the window. If the flame bends, you will know that spot needs attention. Simply take some painter’s tape to mark the spot before applying the recommendations listed above.