Princeton Town Topics – Let’s Talk Real Estate – November 30, 2022
TOP FIRE SAFETY TIPS FOR YOUR HOME
October is fire safety month, which means it’s a good time to review some of the precautions you can take for your home and yard.
- Install smoke detectors on every level in your home, including inside bedrooms and near all sleeping areas. Smoke detectors should be replaced every 10 years.
- Install carbon monoxide detectors on each floor of your home, including the basement and near any attached garage. Carbon monoxide detectors should be replaced every 7 years.
- Test the alarms on smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors in your home monthly to make sure they are working properly.
- Place fire extinguishers nearby kitchens, fireplaces, and work areas in your home, including basements and garages.
- Be sure to clean built up lint from your clothes dryer, including exhaust ducts.
- Have fireplaces and chimneys cleaned and inspected before using them each year.
- Use candles with caution. Never leave burning candles unattended.
- Follow fire safety rules when using a firepit.
- Create a fire safety escape plan and review the plan with everyone in your household.