MOVING WITH KIDS: GETTING READY FOR THE MOVE
Moving can be tough on anyone, but it can be especially difficult for kids who may feel the move is beyond their control. Make the process easier with these tips:
– If the house isn’t nearby, show your child photos of their new home and make a floor plan of their new room. Let them make paper patterns of their furniture so they can arrange it.
– Give your child an address book or download an app and encourage them to get addresses of friends, teachers and other people who are important to them.
– Let them plan a party to say goodbye to friends, but don’t force formal goodbyes; they can be upsetting to some kids.
– Get them involved in packing their own stuff and give them a box for their own essentials. Include games, toys, books or whatever your child needs to have fun and relax.
– Plan visits to special places they enjoy so they can take pictures or just create lasting memory.
– Let them explore the neighborhood online by visiting websites for the town, their new school and nearby activities like parks or clubs.
– Most importantly, be ready to answer questions and remember to be patient and reassuring.