Keeping Your Home Cool This Summer
July is just around the corner, and the dog days of summer are on their way. When the heat rises, everyone seeks ways to stay cool. Yet, at the same time, no one wants to spend so much money on air conditioning that there’s nothing left for summer fun!
Here are some ways to keep cool without jacking up your electric bill:
- Block sunlight by closing blinds and/or installing blackout shades. This is proven to reduce heat gain and lower indoor temperatures, both which help save on cooling costs.
- Adjust your ceiling fans to run counter-clockwise and push cool air downward. You can also put a bowl filled with ice in front of a fan and enjoy the cooling effect as the air whips off the ice.
- Likewise, turn on your bathroom fans and the exhaust fan in your kitchen, which will both pull hot air out of your home.
- Cook on an outdoor grill as often as possible so you don’t create excess heat in your home using the stove or oven.
- Switch to CFL light bulbs, which give off significantly less heat than incandescent bulbs.